Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mumsy comes to Guildford

      The best Easter present, by far, was Mom coming to visit me in my new home. Before heading to London, we explored my town, Guildford. Unfortunately, the weather was not as lovely as we would have hoped, but we still managed to have an amazing time. Our trip started out typically for the two of us. I was slightly stressed about taking the train by myself for the first time to pick Mom up from the airport. Her flight arrived at 8 am, and I made sure I woke up early to give myself extra time to make it to the train station and then take the 7:30 am train to get to the airport in time for her arrival. I successfully rode the train, even making the correct transfer connections. Once at the airport, I searched the board listing the international arrivals, after I saw the flight coming in from Florida, I heeded to the appropriate gate and waited. This seemed like such a piece of cake...I could do this. However, I saw that the flight had not landed yet, and I assumed that the flight must have been slightly delayed.
    So I waited, and waited, and waited. After about 45 minutes of waiting, I began to get slightly nervous...where was her flight? Becoming a tad panicked, I tried to check my email on my phone for the flight info. I had forgotten to top up with the phone company and had no data processing on my phone, and the wifi in the airport wasn't connecting, so I had no Internet, therefore no access to the flight information. Even though it was now only 9am, I called my friend(who was in a dead sleep, and answered crankily) and she looked up he information for me online from her dorm room. Now armed with the flight information, I went to he information desk, and close to tears, desperately asked the woman working about my mother's flight. Somewhat condescendingly, she informed me that flight had landed early 2 hours ago in the NORTH terminal, and I was in the south terminal. I was so embarrassed, I wanted to melt into floor. I thanked her and excused myself. It hadn't occurred to me that where ever there there is a south terminal, there must also be a north terminal. I ran to the shuttle that transported me to he correct terminal. En route, I received a call from an unknown phone number, upon answering, I learned it was my mother! She was frantically worried that I took the wrong train and was in another city far away. I may be flighty at times, but even I wouldn't confuse the chunnel the the national rail, although Paris is lovely this time of year... I reassured her that I was on my way to her to the correct terminal.
     Moments later, we were reunited in a happy embrace! We had a good laugh at how paranoid we both were about the other's safety. We  thought my my mom would be able to use her phone while in England, and that's why I was so worried when I was calling her after her flight was scheduled to land and received no answer. Since we didn't activate international data roaming, her phone was useless. She had to purchase at $10 calling card just to contact me. This would only happen to us.
    Now close to 10am, we were both hungry, so we decided to eat and get a coffee at Costa in he airport, we sat and chatted for about 2 hours, we had so much to catch up on! After eating, we proceeded to the train station to catch the train to Guildford. We had just missed the train, and the next one would not be arriving for another hour. We killed time by getting a sausage roll and chatting some more. We went outside to the platform early to ensure that we would not miss this next train. A train was already outside, but I assured mom that this was not our train, our train wouldn't be arriving for at least 5 more minutes. Apparently, the time displayed on the train time table was the time the train leaves, not the time it arrives. We realized this after our train left. We then had to wait another hour for the next train to arrive. My attempt to prove to my mother that I could master public transport was an epic failure so far. We finally got on the correct train and enjoyed a nice ride back to Guildford. We were successful in that I managed to get us on the fast train(a 40 minute ride) instead of the slow train (an hour and a half ride.) We arrived in Guildford at 4pm, remember, my Mom's flight landed at 8am. Nonetheless, we made it to my town, safe and sound.
    For our first evening in Guildford, we decided that we would be posh and cultured and bought tickets to see Barefoot in the Park, which was showing in our local performing arts center. Before going out to the show, Mum and I had dinner at a very cute restaurant. Apparently, the dinner did not sit well with my stomach and I felt extremely sick! I felt so bad that we couldn't go to the show. If only Dr. House was A) real and B) in England. Mom thought that I must have what we deemed "the rare and dangerous Malaysian tape worm." Luckily, whatever I had passed the following day and then I was fine for more adventures!
     Now, my room is hardly big enough for me and all of my belongings. Adding my mom and her luggage was a very interesting mix, how we fit, I will never know. Since it was relatively good weather, I took mom on a tour of the campus, spending extra time at the lake, my favorite spot. We poked around in town as well. I had grown accustomed to Guildford's hilly topography, but it was a little difficult for mum, who was used to Florida's flatlands. But, she was a trooper and made it through the hilly treks of her visit. We actually grew to like climbing the hills. The more we climbed, the more we could eat and not feel guilty about! It was my duty to introduce Mom to good quality cider, we would order a pint at every pub we visited! We also tasted the obligatory fish and chips while dining out, as well. Mom was especially fond of the pasty stands selling cheese and onion rolls, we had at least one every day!
        On one of our outings, we (successfully) took the train to Denbies Wine Estates. Here, we participated in a vineyard tour and tasting. The vineyard is located in the town of Dorking Deepdene, this title was hilarious to Mumsy and myself. The vineyard is a beautiful property that hosts various events throughout the year. I am currently in contact with Denbies human resource manager about potential employment in the future if I decide to stay in England and pursue a masters degree. Since mom was visiting, I had to be a terrible hostess and take advantage of her trade, she was an amazing mother and cut and dyed my hair even in vacation. I took the plunge and got fringe! I am officially English now! We were going to go view the Guildford castle, but weather did not permit, so pictures would have to substitute a real visit. We also window shopped on the very posh High Street, the Rodeo Drive of Guildford. Then we went to London, the big smoke....

Mum was intrigued by the different brands

Naturally.

My campus!


The Student's Union




What a vineyard with no grapes looks like

My home! It's not the first day of school, but this can be added to the collection.

Such a pretty lake


Grandmother willow?


All of the houses in town have such cute gardens

Alice in Wonderland Inspired statue, it is reported that Lewis Carroll wrote parts of his famous story in this park.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment