Tuesday, February 21, 2012

London Bridge is Falling Down, Nope Just The Rain Falling

Since we have 4 day weekends here, it has been very convenient for us to go on mini trips. Last weekend, we decided to go into London for an adventure. During the day, we saw the sights, mostly the touristy areas, but we found some less mainstream and exciting areas to explore as well. I have come to find out that if there is a 20% chance of rain or greater, that means it will DEFINITELY rain in England. I need to invest in a better umbrella, the one I have is now blown inside out from the wind. On our adventures, we walked across London Bridge, and saw the Tower of London. You know something is truly breathtaking when it is still beautiful when it is surrounded by freezing rain and glooming gray clouds. We wanted to take the tour of the London Tower, but by the time we found it, tickets were no longer on sale for the day. I plan on coming back again soon!
   I have become an avid tea drinker since my arrival and my acculturation process to the UK. However, drinking lots of tea is never a good thing when there are no free public restrooms in sight. I think that my group visited every Starbucks in London to use their facilities. I can't waste 20 precious pence on the loo! After our daytime adventures, a group of us decided we were going to spend the night in a hotel and go explore the London nightlife. We went to the largest night club of the city. It is called The Ministry of Sound and is known worldwide. It was the biggest club I had ever been to! We danced the night away...and danced til the sun came up, literally. The club didn't close until 6AM and we left at 5:30AM.        The best part of the adventure is that we were unaware that the underground is closed until 6:30AM, so upon leaving the club, we didn't know how to get back to our hotel. We were told by staff at the club that there was a night bus that would take us to our hotel, so we waited at the stop. And waited. And waited. But the bus never came. After waiting outside in the cold in our clubbing outfits and high heels(not warm or practical) we finally hailed a taxi to take us to the hotel. Ten minutes and ten pounds later, we were back in our rooms. We had a 4 hour nap and then it was time to check out and take the train back to Guildford.  The rest of the weekend was spent reading for my modules and recovering from our night out. Who knows what next weekend will have in store!!
I finally have my own castle! ;)


In front of London Tower


The Olympic count down clock in Trafalgar Square

The fountain in Trafalgar Square

My Surrey Family getting ready at the hotel

So much fun on our photoshoot in the rain!

We are becoming pros on the Undergound

1 comment:

  1. Kaitlin, I'm so enjoying your updates and the photos are amazing. What a beautiful campus to visit...you're so lucky!!! Hope you're feeling better. Sending hugs and kisses, Aunt Wee

    ReplyDelete