Saturday, February 11, 2012

Oxford

   The student's union here is so great. Not only do they let us have crazy parties, but they also sponsor inexpensive day trips for students. Today I went to Oxford via bus with a large group from school. It was a 2 hour ride by bus from my campus. The town is absolutely beautiful. So posh(and so expensive.) I would give my right arm to be able to attend grad school, or even re-do my undergrad experience, at Oxford University. It is the prettiest campus I have ever seen. It blows away Harvard or any other Ivy League school. We spent the day in the town and on Oxford's various campuses. I had no idea that parts of the Harry Potter movies were filmed on this campus. As I was walking through the various libraries and courtyards, I could almost hear the Hogwarts theme music running through my head, I felt quite witchlike ;) It is such a historic town, there is an epic story behind every building and statue. We were too cheap to pay for the guided tours(overpriced,) so we did some research on our own and learned quite a few fun facts. Our group ate at a pub for lunch, and of course I had to order fish and chips! I could live off that meal forever...good thing I did quite a bit of walking today so I won't end up looking like a cellulite- filled fried fish! No gym membership necessary when one is touring and jet setting about Europe.
Glasswork in a cathedral in Oxford

I think I fit in quite well on campus....

Even the gates are beautiful( to keep out the undergrad folk)

The hospital scene from Harry Potter was filmed in this library entrance


Coat of Arms

One of the academic halls on campus

The clock tower in the courtyard of Oxford

A fountain that looks like it came to life out of The Secret Garden

The Oxford Christ Church campus cathedral

The dorms on campus...I want to live here

More sets of Harry Potter filming, I <3 Oxford!
  
There is a small group of us planning a trip to Ireland for St. Patricks Day, I'm sure that will be an amazing experience! I need to start searching for some posh green accessories to be prepared for the holiday. Tonight is my first evening that I've spent in my room relaxing since I left America, it was much needed. I am finally getting over my nasty cold, but I'm trying to avoid a relapse. My body hates me when I don't let it sleep. There just aren't enough hours in the day to explore, study, and sleep, so unfortunately I always seem to sacrifice sleep. The days are even shorter here than back home because the sun sets around 5:00pm, or 17:00 as we say here. All of the stores also close around sun down, so forget running any errands at night time. This is probably a good thing, since it is even colder after dark, no one should be running around in the chilly night air. Planning on running some errands tomorrow, but I will be sure to post any new exciting adventures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment