Saturday, February 11, 2012

Uni Life

Having fun playing in the snow in front of my dorm before a night out

My next door neighbor and good friend Zara

The courtyard in front of my dorm

My view from my window

Picnic tables on the campus square

SNOW SNOW SNOW
This school is absolutely amazing! As much as I have loved my time at UCF, I wish that I could've spent more time here at the University of Surrey! Everything is so different here. The professors have a completely different mindset. I love how their teaching is focused on hands-on experience as opposed to text book learning. My favorite class is Event Management. In a class that I took at UCF with a very similar syllabus, my class planned the Rosen College of Hospitality Career Fair. This is the most dull and non-glamorous event possible. Here at Surrey, my group mates and I have the creative license to plan any event we like as long as we use one of the on campus venues. This is very easy to do, on campus we have one full-service restaurant/ball room, one pub, one club, one lounge, and numerous outdoor locations(once the weather is more pleasant, of course.) My group has decided to plan a big party! The team that makes the highest profit on their event will receive the highest marks. Back home at UCF, the campus is so conservative, basically we aren't allowed to attach anything risky or risque to the schools name. Here, the school sponsors crazy events! Some of the past events that the student's union has hosted included mud wrestling, fireworks, and entertainment provided by strippers. Basically, as long as the proceeds go to charity, anything goes. I think that is why my group got a little carried away...we have so much freedom we want to do the extreme of everything! Our event won't occur until until April or May. Our top theme choice is an ABC(anything but clothes) party. Attendees would be required to wear anything except conventional clothing( beer cans, tape, toilet paper, balloons...etc) the more creative, the better! We want to rent out the biggest club on campus, which holds 1,500 students. The party will be complete with a DJ and educational themed decor and a huge raffle. A big endeavor! The title would be ABC Party for Education and we want to donate all the proceeds to a children's education fund here in Guildford. So excited! My other classes are Sustainable Tourism, Operations Analysis, and Consumer Behaviour( notice the British spelling of "behavior"...I'm adjusting!) For the most part I am interested in all of my courses and am looking forward to learning the European ways of my industry. Classes are only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, so I am free to travel the rest of the week(and study some, I guess...) The weather has dropped this week and we are experiencing record lows in the city, of course that would happen my first week here. Today was a whopping high of 32...yes a high of 32 degrees FARENHEIT...thank goodness for fleece-lined tights, they are my godsend here! More to come about more travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment